Blog Post #2
I have used Microsoft Word since my 8th grade elective class where we got experience using Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Excel. Similar to how the user interface on Apple products are easier to work with than Android products, I think Google Docs is more intuitive. While Microsoft Word has more tools, the amount of things on one screen can make it hard to deal with. Google Docs is more simplified, I like how it looks and it is easier to find previously made documents. When teachers forced me to use Microsoft Word to upload, I would always type it all in Google Docs and then copy it into a word document.
The 2.5 Designer standard is most meaningful to me. Students have different difficulties when it comes to learning and some might need more accommodation than others. I want to be there for the students who are having extra trouble when it comes to class. I want to be the one that can see how they are special and influence them into doing what they want and should do in life.
I agree with the label of "digital native", because I am one. People always say talk about grandparents not understand technology, but it is understandable. They were not born in our generation. Our parents did have computers later in their college years, which is why they were able to understand the technology more than older folks. There are teachers that still like using a chalkboard and chalk, and that is because they were born with teachers using them in their generation. I find it easier when I have a class that uses technology to do assignments and upload our work.
Hi Phillip, I also like google docs better then MS word and think you have good point on why standard 2.5 is important. Students will come from all different backgrounds with different skills and its important to keep that in mind when creating lessons and activities'. What works for one may not work for another and that's okay. on another note I think is cool you consider yourself a digital native. I'm pretty young myself and have some technology skills but i don't think I am a digital native compared to my younger sister who is always showing me new things on my phone.
ReplyDeleteHey Philip, I totally get what you’re saying about Google Docs vs. Microsoft Word. The layout of Word can feel overwhelming with all the tools on one screen, whereas Google Docs is way more streamlined. I also like how easy it is to access past documents—no more hunting through folders just to find something! And I feel you on copying from Google Docs into Word just to submit assignments. I think a lot of us do that!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how personal your post was! It was cool how you shared your own experience with Microsoft Word and Google Docs. I also liked how you explained the 2.5 Designer standard and how you want to help students who might struggle.One thing I think you could work on is maybe organizing your ideas a little more. Some parts jumped around a bit, so adding small transitions or breaking it up more could help it flow better. Overall though, great job sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteHi there! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I thought your comparison between Google Docs and Microsoft Word was spot-on. I also find Google Docs more user-friendly, especially when it comes to organizing and accessing past work. Your experience using Microsoft Office tools since 8th grade definitely shows you’re comfortable with technology.
ReplyDeleteI also liked your reflection on the 2.5 Designer standard. It’s great that you already recognize how important it is to support students who may need extra help and accommodations. That level of awareness and empathy will make a big difference in your teaching.
Lastly, I agree with your take on being a digital native. The way you connected generational tech use to classroom preferences was thoughtful and true. Great job overall!